Gluten Free Onion Rings
These are tasty and make a great side to just about anything. Onion rings are everywhere down here in Florida. You can smell them cooking from about a block away. Now I can make them at home, and I like them even better. For bonus points; so dose my husband.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup corn startch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Combine egg and milk in a bowl
- Combine Cornstarch and spices in another bowl
- Dip the onion into the milk mixture and then coat it liberally with the flour mixture. Once you're sure the onion is well-coated, dip it back into the wet mixture and into the dry coating again. This double-dipping ensures you have a well-coated onion because some of the coating will wash off when you fry the onion.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Make sure you use enough oil to completely cover the onion rings when they fry.
- fry until lightly browned. Be careful not over cook. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towels.
Spicy Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
This is also a great appetizer for when you have your next get together.
Make sure all your ingredients are gluten free and enjoy!